For true coffee fanatics, merely drinking our favorite brew isn`t enough; we want to eat it, too. Hence, the popularity of mocha ice cream, mocha candies, mocha clairs and pastries and, perhaps best of all, deliciously decadent mocha cake.
The best mocha cake has a range of complex, deep, dark flavors that hit the palette in a wave of layers. First, there`s the bitter smokiness of coffee, then the semi-sweet/bitter bite of dark cocoa and then the pure, intense warm sweetness of chocolate.
Mocha cake is so-called because it replicates the flavors of the caff mocha, a coffee beverage based on espresso, hot milk and chocolate. The chocolate used for cafff mocha is traditionally in the form of cocoa powder, which is also used for most mocha cake recipes. Although a caff mocha can be made of either dark or milk chocolate, most of us associate the flavor of the classic drink with the intense, bittersweet qualities of dark chocolate.
To replicate these flavors, a traditional mocha cake will have unsweetened or bittersweet cocoa powder and strong, brewed espresso coffee. Instead of milk, many mocha cake recipes call for buttermilk, which adds another complex flavor component.
Here`s a smashing recipe for a mocha chocolate cake with coffee butter frosting, created by popular coffee blogger, Mike Crimmins.
Mocha Chocolate Cake
Preparation Time: Five Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tbsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup hot, dark roast coffee
4 tbsp. applesauce (which is used in this recipe instead of oil)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine all of the flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl and sift together until blended.
3. Add the eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, applesauce and coffee and whisk the mixture together until smooth.
4. Pour the cake batter into a greased 9×12 inch cake or baking pan.
5. Bake the cake for 25 minutes, then let it cool before removing from pan and frosting.
Coffee Butter Frosting
Preparation time: 10 minutes
1. Combine the cocoa powder and confectioners` sugar in a small bowl.
2. Using another bowl and a mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar.
3. Add the brewed liquid coffee and the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture and beat until smooth.
4. Once the cake has cooled completely, cover sides and top with the frosting.
Whether you`re looking at caffesociety.co.uk or other sources for ideas, you`ll want to find the perfect flavor of coffee to accompany your delicious dessert. For a flavor combination that`s truly serendipitous, try serving a quality gourmet blend of mocha bean coffee with your mocha chocolate cake. Likewise, drinking a rich espresso with your mocha cake will serve to intensify the coffee flavors of your luscious dessert.Click here to print this Recipe